How is January going so far? For me it has been going great, I have been busy with my Creative Writing course that I am taking online from Southern New Hampshire University, writing articles on Hubpages, and keeping up with my blog here on WordPress:) I like to stay busy so I try to come up with ways to stay occupied in a positive way. There are days when I have felt negative and when I feel negative, I also feel like I do not want to do anything. I just want to stay in my bed and sleep with the blankets on my face and not worry about anything, but I know that I cannot be like that my whole life because I will not go anywhere, or achieve anything positive in my life, anything worthwhile.
Here are six helpful and smart ways to keep yourself positive:
1. Find positiveness when surrounded with negativeness. I always like to see the sun at the beginning of the day because then it reminds me to smile and it lets me know that I will have a great day no matter what happens or will happen during the day. If it is cloudy or raining, then I simply play some really happy, fun, and upbeat music that I can dance to.
Some songs that I am listening to right now:
1. Bean: “Let’s Go”
2. Taylor Swift: “Shake It Off”
3. GroupLove: “Ways to Go”
2. Surround Yourself with Positive People
This is something that I know I was lacking in my High School years and now that I am twenty-three years old, I put so much importance in this. I am always trying to meet new people who think like me, people who have their own dreams and goals that they want to achieve in their life. Before I had friends who would criticize me a’lot about myself and about what I wanted to do with my life that sometimes it got to the point where they would get negative with me. It took me a long time to change the way I thought and to not worry about what other people would say about me, or think about me. It is my life and I have the freedom to make my own positive decisions and choices. I believe that it is essential to be with positive people who will support your dreams and goals.
For me the most positive place to go to is my local Catholic church located in Brea, CA. I attend this Youth and Young Adult group that meets in St. Angela Merici every Thursday at seven in the evening to grow closer to God and to learn more about the Catholic religion, it is also a really fun motivational place where we are all friends and we all support each other in any way we can. I started going to the meetings in April 2013, the meetings truly have changed my life in a way that I never thought would happen to me. Attending church has helped me grow closer to God and Jesus Christ more than ever. I also made friends that had the same dreams and goals that I have. My second positive place has always been the library because of course, books have always been my true first friends:)
3. Take Things in your Life slowly, do not force yourself to do things quickly. Honestly it is not healthy to try to do things quickly just because you are afraid that you might not get to where you want to go. We are all conditioned to eat fast because at work we were trained that way, and so when we are eating at home we are not able to break that habit because it is something that we do everyday.
I try to enjoy things that i do or eat slowly and savor the moments slowly because then they will pass you by without you even noticing them they were there. Like Ferris Bueller said: “Life moves pretty quickly, if you don’t stop once in a while you might miss it.”
4. Do not Create a Mountain of Problems. Impulsive and anger can often cause us to create a small problem into a bigger problem, this can lead to more anger, and negativity coming to us. I have a history of doing this and let me tell you! it is not pleasant. The next time that you feel like this instead of making your next problem bigger, why not try to stop, take a few deep breaths, and refocus yourself. Ask yourself over what could be possible solutions for your problem, or better yet, you can talk it over with a friend. Friends can help you find a possible solution to your problem.
5. Do not let Fear hold you back. This is something that I have let happen to me before and do not want it to happen to me again. Everyday I hold on to positive thoughts because I know positive thoughts will help me get through the bad times I experience. If I want to learn something new, I will learn it because I want to. I am not going to lie to you, but there are still days when negativity tries to get to me, but once I remember a positive quote or a song with motivational lyrics then my thoughts and feelings change back from negative to positive. Usually if I get nervous trying something that means that I am conquering my fear, and that is something great!:)
6. Spread the Positivity. I may not have enough money to donate to a charity because I am not a millionaire, but when I can I try to help out in whatever way possible. I mostly like to help my parents right now because I know how tired they always come home from work, so them knowing that there is someone helping them, is a big difference for them because they do not have to worry about cooking something to eat, or cleaning the house. I like the satisfaction of helping others with just a simple smile and “Hello.”